CBD | Weed | Marijuana | Dispensary packaging
All cannabis products must be packaged in an immediate container. Some products may also have an outer container in addition to the immediate container, while other products may have shrink wraps or wrappers (e.g., foil wrappers around chocolate).
Where a cannabis product has multilayered packaging, all elements must be packaged and labelled according to the regulatory requirements.
The Best Packaging Materials and Methods for CBD Products
As mentioned earlier, each type of CBD product benefits from packaging designed and manufactured for its unique needs. The best choice for a given situation depends chiefly on cost, formulation, and delivery method. Typical packaging used for CBD products includes:
- Metal cans. Metal cans are generally used for energy drinks and carbonated beverages. Plastic or glass variations also serve as a viable option for these products. Metal is both cost-effective and easily recyclable, qualities which also tend to be important to health-conscious consumers.
- Glass containers. Small, tinted or opaque glass dropper bottles are essential for preserving oils and tinctures. Larger bottles are also ideal for packaging supplements or beverages.
- Paperboard cartons. Paperboard cartons are a classic option for candies and other bite-sized snacks. They provide a large canvas for advertising and informational content, with the tradeoff being their greater flimsiness. Integrating plastic inserts can mitigate this problem at a relatively low cost.
- Cloth bags. Cloth bags are a high-end packaging option suitable for more luxury candies or snacks. Although cloth bags are reusable, they provide less protection against moisture or damage than other packaging options.
- Plastic bags and pouches. Plastic bags and pouches are one of the most versatile, durable, and affordable packaging options for CBD products. They can include stand-up bags or smaller plastic wraps.
At Econo-Pak, we use state-of-the-art packaging methods to achieve quality packaged products. Our capabilities include:
- VFFS. Vertical form fill sealing is an advanced, automated bagging solution that quickly and efficiently packages products in plastic pouches.
- Pouch filling. Stand-up pouches are an attractive and convenient alternative to paperboard boxes. We specialize in rapid and accurate pouch filling to fulfil packaging jobs of all sizes.
- Flow wrapping. Ideal for firm CBD edibles, our flow wrapping services creates custom bag shapes for products of any size. Incorporating three separate seals, flow-wrapped packages afford maximum freshness with minimal waste.
Guidelines and Considerations for CBD Product Packaging
Although CBD is more widely recognized and accepted than it once was, its packaging and marketing still pose many unique challenges. The two main problems faced by CBD product manufacturers and distributors are legal and FDA/FTC restrictions.
CBD does not demonstrate psychoactive characteristics. However, its ability to be derived from hemp or marijuana, the latter of which contains THC (a psychoactive substance that maintains strict regulation in many states), results in a variance regarding the legality of its inclusion in consumer products from state to state.
Of greater concern is scrutiny from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regarding advertising claims. When including product or marketing information on packaging, it’s important to pay close attention to the exact wording of labels to ensure compliance with FDA regulations. In particular, the FDA and FTC warn against making unsubstantiated health claims. While it can be tempting to tout anecdotal benefits of CBD to boost sales, especially when so many customers claim to have found success with the product, it’s crucial to phrase benefits accurately with respect to the existence of evidence (or lack thereof).
As a general guideline, CBD product packaging should include the following:
- General label information and organization, including product name, label placement, and identity statements
- Contents and ingredients lists, including nutritional information and net quantities of active compounds, colours, additives, and potential allergens
- Product batch or date codes
- Product usage or application instructions
Learn More About Custom CBD Packaging From the Experts at Econo-Pak
Whether you’re looking for a box, a standup pouch, or a custom packaging design for your CBD product, Econo-Pak has the knowledge and skills necessary to provide a reliable and cost-effective solution. Our services are fully FDA compliant and Safe Quality Food certified, protecting you, your product, and your consumers from the hazards of improper packaging. With over 40 years of contract packaging experience, we have successfully helped numerous corporations navigate the complex and shifting trends of the health food industry, and we’ll work with you to achieve success in your own CBD product marketing efforts.